Sunday, February 21, 2010

Channeling My Inner Marilyn (Richmond, VA)

Although I don't resemble her in the least (she's blonde, beautiful, and dead), I am channeling Marilyn Monroe.

My voice is so low and husky and breathy that I am having some problems with my clients. When I call a family and reach the father, he is usually super-friendly and absolutely thrilled to hear from me. On the other hand, if the mother answers, I get the opposite reaction. And should I ask the mother to pass the phone to the father, it's "Who the HELL is this???"

The last time I channeled Marilyn, a concerned colleague -- who just happens to be a police officer -- asked me what I was going to do about my voice.

"I'm thinking of starting a new career," I told her. "Working the phones. At night."

She thought I'd do an excellent job.

In the meantime, maybe I can wrangle an invitation to the White House to sing "Happy Birthday, Mr. President...."

No comments:

Post a Comment